The Lakers Lions Club has partnered with Faith in Action for Cass County (FIACC) to provide volunteer transportation services for those in need living in the Emily, Outing and Fifty Lakes communities. Faith in Action is the coordinator of program and the Lakers Lions Club is the provider of volunteer drivers. We are not able to guarantee that a driver will be available.
We have established the following policies:
- All riders must complete an application form, in person or over the phone, by a FIACC staff/coordinator prior to receiving transportation assistance, including children and spouses.
- All requests for transportation must be made to the FIACC Office. Requests are not to be made directly to the volunteer driver.
- Requests must be made by calling the FIACC Office (1-866-675-5435) at least 48 hours in advance of needing a ride. Requests must list all persons who need the ride and all errands or stops expected for that trip. Volunteers may not be able to fit in additional stops or errands unless notified in advance.
- Priority is given to the elderly and those who are disabled (rider must be able to get into a vehicle with minimal assistance) or living with chronic illness. Priority is given first for transportation for medical and dental appointments, then for grocery shopping or food shelf pick-ups, then for visits to spouses, and errands such as the post office or bank.
- Transportation for non-medical reasons is provided within the rider’s local area or closest town unless the rider is willing to pay for the extra mileage reimbursement.
- Riders must wear seatbelts. Children must be in proper car seats provided by the rider. All children age 7 and under must ride in a federally approved car seat or booster seat, unless the child is 4’9″ or taller. If the rider cannot, or refuses to comply with this policy, the driver is required to withhold the service.
- Minors must be accompanied by an adult and remain supervised by the adult at all times. The volunteer driver accepts no responsibility for minors.
- Smoking is not allowed in a volunteer’s vehicle.
- Drivers and riders must obey state laws regarding driving/riding. If a rider is obviously intoxicated or under the influence of alcohol or drugs at time of pick up, a volunteer may refuse to transport them. Alcohol consumption in the vehicle is grounds for automatic suspension from the program.
- Riders are encouraged to participate in the cost of this program by making a contribution to FIACC or the Lakers Lions Club. Volunteer drivers cannot be paid for their services; however, FIACC does offer mileage reimbursement for volunteers at $.40/mile. Riders may be given an envelope to send a contribution to the FIACC office. A rider will NOT be denied transportation if they are unable or unwilling to make a contribution.
Call the Faith in Action office at 866-675-5435 with questions.